Better Care Fund
The Better Care Fund is a national government initiative using joint or pooled budgets from the local NHS and the Council. It is made up of existing resources and is intended to create closer working between NHS and council care services from April 2015/16.
Councils and their clinical commissioning group partners are asked to develop a joint plan that explains how each area develops local services in order to access the fund.
The Better Care Fund Partnership is a national government initiative to create closer working between the NHS and council care services from April 2015/16.
It is made up of the Council, local Voluntary Sector Organisations and the local NHS (including Enfield Clinical Commissioning Group, North Middlesex Hospitals NHS Trust, The Royal Free NHS Foundation Trust and Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust).
Our vision is: ‘The system responding as a whole with the right intervention at the right time’.
Enfield has already started the integration of health and social care services, which is a key factor of our Health and Wellbeing Board’s vision of enabling local people to live longer, healthier, happier lives in Enfield.
Our Health and Wellbeing Strategy sets out the following priorities:
- Ensuring the best start in life
- Creating stronger, healthier communities
- Narrowing the gap in healthy life expectancy
- Promoting healthy lifestyles and healthy communities
- Enabling people to be safe, independent, and well, and delivering high-quality health and social care services
Our Better Care Fund plan is based on four programmes which deal with the key issues affecting our residents’ health and outcomes. These are:
- Care for older people
- Long-term conditions (focusing on diabetes)
- Children and young people
- Mental health
Supporting all of these is a set of principles which are shared jointly across the partnership, beginning with our focus on prevention and early intervention.
There are three documents that form the Enfield Better Care Plan, these are:
- The Better Care Fund Plan, this sets out the vision for the programme, what we will do and how we will implement the Plan.
- The Better Care Fund Planning Template, this is a series of tables setting out the performance measures and the finances, and
- The Annex, which describes each project in a little more detail.
For further information about the Better Care Fund and to view the supporting documents please visit the Enfield Council website.