A dentist can provide information on how to look after your teeth and gums; a check-up to see if you have any dental problems and if required can carry out treatment such as fillings or root canal treatment.

dentist with patient
Some dentists provide a mixture of NHS and private care. If you are unsure what services your dentist provides, check with your dentist. All dentists have up-to-date practice information on the NHS services they have agreed to provide.

You do not have to see a dentist in Enfield, you can see any dentist in the country as an NHS patient as long as they are providing NHS dental services.

Do I need to register with a dentist?

Dentists no longer need to register patients. Dentists now keep lists of regular patients and provide ongoing treatment and care.

How do I find an NHS dentist?

To find a dentist near to where you live enter your postcode in the search option on the My Health London website

How can I find out about urgent and out-of-hours dental care?

If you need urgent dental treatment call your dentist: some practices offer appointments at short notice. If you don't have a dentist, find one using NHS 111.

If you need to see a dentist out of hours call your dentist: their answerphone may advise where to get out-of-hours treatment.  You can call NHS 111 to find an out-of-hours dental service near you. 

Don't contact your GP, as they won't be able to offer emergency or out-of-hours dental care.

What are the costs of dental treatment?

If you normally pay for NHS dental treatment, there will be three standard charges. The amount you pay will depend on the treatment you need to keep your teeth and gums healthy. You will pay one charge even if you need to visit more than once to complete a course of treatment. You can find out the latest costs on the NHS Dental Charges page of the NHS Choices website.

Note: you should ask your dentist how much your individual treatment plan will cost before they start your treatment. The dental practice may also ask you to pay before beginning your treatment.

Am I entitled to free NHS dental treatment?

To find out if you are entitled to free dental treatment visit the Get Help With Dental Costs page of the NHS Choices website.

How do I complain about my dental treatment?

If you wish to make a complaint about the care or service provided by your NHS dentist or dental practice, contact the person responsible for complaints at the dental practice. You can make your complaint verbally to the practice or in writing.
If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the dental practice, please contact NHS England.  Further details are available on our Advice, Complaints and Compliments page.