GP practices

A GP or General Practitioner is a doctor who looks after the health of local people and deals with a wide range of health issues such as general health advice, contraception and maternity services and vaccinations. If the GP cannot help they may refer you to a hospital for tests or treatment.

Why should I register with a GP?

GPs and practice staff can help keep you well or will see you quickly if you are unwell. A GP can also refer you to specialist and community health services if you need them.

How do I register with a GP?

To be able to visit a GP you need to be on the patient list of a GP practice. This is called registering. Everyone has the right to be registered with a GP. To find a GP to register with, search for 'GP' and enter your postcode on the My Health London website.  You can then visit your local GP practice and complete a registration form. You will need to provide your name, address, date of birth and (if known) your NHS number. Once this process is completed, your medical notes will be sent to your new practice.

Can I choose which GP I have?

Yes, if you live in their catchment area. Enfield is divided into a number of different areas called catchment areas. Each GP in Enfield has one catchment area and may only accept patients that live in their catchment area. Depending on where you live you might be in the catchment area for more than one GP.

When can I see my GP?

Phone your local GP practice or check the My Health London website for details about opening hours.

Can I see a GP in the evenings or at weekends?

If you are registered with a GP practice in Enfield (or resident in Enfield but have yet to register with an Enfield GP practice), you can access an appointment with a GP, or other healthcare professional, on weekday evenings, weekends and bank holidays at a primary care access hub.

Urgent and routine appointments, either same day or pre-bookable, are available from 6.30pm to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm weekends and bank holidays.  

You can request an appointment with a local GP or nurse at any one of the hubs by either:

  • contacting your own GP practice directly during core opening hours (8am-6.30pm), or
  • calling NHS 111 weekday evenings, weekends and bank holidays when your GP practice is closed.

For more information about this service please see the GP extended access hubs webpage.

Do I have to pay?

Most GP services are free. However you may have to pay for non-essential services such as travel vaccinations or reports for insurance companies. Patients do pay for prescriptions, unless they are eligible for support or exemption. The latest information about NHS prescription charges are available on the Help With Health Costs page of the NHS Choices website.

If a GP refuses to register me what do I do?

A doctor may refuse to register you if their list is full. If this is the case they should display a poster explaining their list is temporarily full. A doctor cannot refuse to take you on because of your age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, financial status or medical condition.

How do I change my GP?

You have the right to change your GP without giving a reason. You will then register with a new GP as described above.

What is the difference between permanent and temporary registration?

If you are likely to live in Enfield at one address for more than three months then register as a permanent patient. Permanent registration means that you can be registered with a medical card and have your records transferred to your new GP. You can register as a temporary patient for up to three months. This is useful if you are staying away from home for a short period of time and need medical care.

What happens if I am removed from a GP's list?

GPs can remove patients from their list. If this happens you can ask them for the reason in writing.

Is there a GP that speaks a language other than English?

A few GPs speak languages other than English. An interpreter can be arranged when you go to see a GP or other practice staff. This is a free and confidential service. Most practices also have access to telephone interpreting services. Ask your practice for details.

Is there an interpreting service for deaf patients?

Your GP can arrange for a sign language interpreter for you. Ask at reception for more details.

Other services available at your GP practice

Most GP practices in Enfield have a health kiosk which can measure your blood pressure, your pulse and also your height and weight to calculate your body mass index (BMI) . The health kiosks are free for patients to use. Find out more.

GP online services

You can book GP appointments and request repeat prescriptions via your computer, smartphone or tablet at a time that suits you rather than calling or visiting your surgery. If you have a long term health condition such as diabetes you can also benefit by having access to test results and keep track of your treatment. Find out more.

Making a suggestion, comment or complaint about your GP

If you have a complaint, or want to make your views known about care you have received from your GP or practice staff, you should speak to someone at the practice first. In many cases the problem can be sorted out straight away. If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the practice, please contact NHS England.  Further details are available on our Advice, Complaints and Compliments page.