GP services outside of normal surgery opening hours across Enfield will continue to be provided by Barndoc Healthcare Ltd (Barndoc) under a new two-year contract beginning on 2 April 2013.
Barndoc is a locally based company employing local family doctors and has been providing the out of hours GP service for patients in Enfield for the past 14 years.
The contract was awarded following a robust procurement process, in which Barndoc was assessed against criteria heavily weighted in favour of quality of service and value for money.
The GP out of hours service is for patients who have urgent health needs that cannot wait until their doctors surgery is next open. It runs between 6.30pm and 8am on weekdays and 24 hours a day at weekends and on bank holidays.
Patients in Enfield can access GP out of hours services by phoning the new NHS 111 phone number. Every GP surgery in Enfield now has a message about the 111 number on their voicemail if patients call them when they are closed. Calls to 111 are free, including from mobiles, 24/7. The 111 service gives healthcare advice and can book an appointment or transfer the patient to the NHS service that can help them best. If a patient is transferred from 111 to Barndoc they can expect:
- To speak to a GP who will give them healthcare advice and/or
- A consultation with a GP at a choice of one of local four sites: Chase Farm Hospital, Edgware Community Hospital, Finchley Memorial Hospital and The Laurels Healthy Living Centre in Haringey or
- A home visit if clinically appropriate
Dr Alpesh Patel, Chair of NHS Enfield Clinical Commissioning Group said: “We are delighted to announce that Barndoc has been awarded the contract. The Barndoc service was chosen because the evidence they provided exceeded the quality threshold set as part of this process. Patients can feel confident that Enfield will continue to have high quality out of hours GP services. We look forward to our continued partnership with Barndoc.”
Notes to editors
- The procurement for the out of hours provider was undertaken by NHS North Central London on behalf of Barnet, Enfield and Haringey PCTs. The successful provider, Barndoc Healthcare Ltd, was confirmed at the NCL Joint PCT Boards on 31 January 2013.
- Under the new contract Barndoc will be extending their services to patients in the borough of Haringey as well as continuing to provide an out of hours GP service to Enfield patients.
For further information please contact Savaia Stevenson on 020 7683 4118 or Savaia.firstname.lastname@example.org